On Jan 12, 2008 7:16 AM, Paolo Di Tommaso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I disagree with this answer.
>
> The fact that request handling stuff is not a public api, is A GOOD REASON
> because it should be documented better, not viceversa.

should we document how our xml parser works? how about how wicket
assembles parts of markup into different markup fragments? all these
things have no effect on you as a wicket user.

a question for you, in what way will knowing the internal workflow of
wicket request processing affect your programming decisions?

> And I really don't understand in which way this could prevent you to change
> - eventually - in future wicket versions.

it takes away freedom. eg eelco and martijn thoroughly document this
in their book about wicket 1.3. that means we cant change this
significantly in at least 1.3 because we dont want leave people who
bought the book to have the no longer valid idea. having no
documentations for what we consider private parts allows us complete
freedom.

> I not a newbie user and I'm really a Wicket enthusiastic user and pleased to
> be involved in its great community, but I have to admit that some topics are
> still obscure.

sure. thats why we have a wiki.

> The request flow handling is one of the most important topic to know in a
> web application framework, being so I think it would be very interesting to
> have only a brief description, for example a sequence diagram showing the
> components interaction starting from the WicketFilter (and/or the
> WicketServlet) involved in a web request handling.

Why is it so interesting? Do you know how the Valve workflow of tomcat
works? Anyways, this has been on the wiki since October, maybe you
guys need to learn how the search box works :)

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/Wicket+inside

> Hiding this stuff or, even worse, asking the users to debug the framework to
> understand what it should important to know I don't think is a good approach
> because it is precisely this that leads to wrong assumptions, that could
> break in future.

good, we want that freedom - to change it in the future. i dont see
anything wrong with stepping through the code to learn how something
works. that is pretty much how i learned all i know about wicket and i
doubt i am that much smarter then you.

-igor