I'm jumping into this conversation very late and I simply can't catch up on
this entire thread, but isn't it possible to have a non-generic build of the
generic framework for people that don't want to use generics?

Skimming this discussion, in general, I tend to agree with Eelco. A good
general approach would be to fully generify the framework and then vote to
back out the things which are really not helpful (for example, although page
is technically a component, pages often have no models, so it might be a
good thing to a un-generify). Once we have found a practical/optimal level
of generification should we vote on it. Let's not throw the baby out with
the bathwater.

Also, for myself, I disagree that type safety is not a primary goal of
generics. Even if the API were completely clear already, I'd still prefer
more type safety.