For myself (and I think a lot of the Java community), I would have preferred
an awesome version of generics that was easier to use, less efficient and
broke backwards compatibility. At a deeper level, I think there was a key
early mistake in not planning for and providing mechanisms for breaking
backwards compatibility in Java in order to improve the platform. The
generics fiasco is just one  manifestation of this larger problem.