I do think that pushing a JSR for Wicket will have a negative influence on the spirit of Wicket and it's community due to the politics involved with a JSR. Politics are so not the Wicket way. This is what I mean with the "wrong way" and yes, that is mighty subjective.

I also expect there will not be enough support from other parties to participate in a JSR (again, highly subjective), because there is nothing for them to gain. Which I believe is one of your main arguments: there will not be a broader input base. But I think Wicket receives enough input since the Wicket developers see what is happening in other projects around them and they take that with them.

And without enough support, the JSR will be dropped and I think that in the corporate eye, Wicket will turn into 'that project that didn't make the JSR', and wide adoption will be even further away.

But again, without a concrete proposal, I have no idea what the specification request would describe and what the scope of such a JSR would be. Could you elaborate on that? Maybe that clears things up for me.

BTW, I think not that Hibernate has grown as a result of the JPA-standard, but that the Java EE standard has grown a a result of the emerging of ORM-tools (like Hibernate, Toplink etc.) and other popular application stacks, like Spring etc. The quality of Hibernate would have increased without the JPA-spec anyway (and ofcourse, there was - and there still is - enough opportunity to improve).

Hoover, William wrote:
I agree that we need to change the views of corporate managers in the
"right way" by illustrating the cost savings achieved though a reduction
in development time. At the same time, I don't believe that this will
change the Wicket community in the "wrong way" (which is a highly
subjective statement). I'm only presenting the alternative viewpoint. It
is possible that a standard could potentially inhibit progression due to
contrasting viewpoints within the community, but it is also equally
possible that it could lead to a value-added aspect by introducing a
broader input base to the Wicket community that could speed progression
(Hibernate/JPA is an example of this). There is always a possibility
that progress can be slowed as the number of members increase because
there are more viewpoints to be examined/debated. I think that there is
a higher probability that the community will grow if such a standard
were to be adopted.

Just because there is already a specification for a "web framework"
(JSF) that does not constitute abandoning a standard approach. Look at
JAX-WS vs JAX-RS. They accomplish many of the same objectives, but they
both are part of the proposed profile stack
(http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=JavaEE6Overview)
. A Wicket implementation could orchestrate a refreshing alternative
approach to JSF in the same manner that it does today.

When I referred to open-mindedness I was referring to being open-minded
to the ideas behind the push... I didn't necessary intended to imply
that anyone would not be open-minded if they did not support a JSR :o)