Totally divergent now but its an interesting topic.

We segment our Designers, HTML implementors and Java developers. Thats
probably the key difference.

Our designers work in photoshop or illustrator to pretty exacting
requirements. This lets us contract out design work to a variety of
firms specific to the task/project and they don't have to concern
themselves with our requirements. Lots cheaper for us and at the end
of the 'Creative Process' we are usually very locked on what is going
to be implemented, how it will look and how it all interacts.

We then have a stable of devs around the world who convert the layered
Photoshop document to CSS very cheaply and very quickly and know how
to work to our exact requirements.

We usually dismiss the entire design/html team after the initial
delivery which is often months before the project is completed. We
just don't need them for that project after that stage.

For us I've just found it cheaper and more efficient to entirely
separate these teams and thats actually a big reason I picked wicket.
It lets me do that very easily. $5k for the design process, $200 to
convert it to HTML and a month  or two of coding by a single developer
and you launch, its very assembly line and predictable for me.

So I think its a workflow diff. If your Designer is actually a really
solid hybrid Designer/CSS Person you can get a good workflow going but
I find them an expensive luxury that I (in my business) can't afford
anymore.

John-