It makes sense what you are asking and it can be done. If you
logically construct your div structure and liberally apply divs/spans
so that your eventually CSS implementor can uniquely address any
element on the page.

More spans/divs will be better. For example, if you have an area of
the page that has

Firstname Lastname
Address
city, state, postal code

my advice would be to wrap it all up with unique id's

div
  div firstname /div div lastname /div
  div address /div
  div city /div div state /div div postal /div
/div

This gives your designer a fighting chance of manipulating the
required page elements via CSS later. You can always strip unused tags
later.

John-