I mean to have the timer attached to a component that is a sibling of
the tab. You could register component as listener of this behavior and
have the timer ask the components if the have changes to "repaint".

I´m not sure but the problem you have might happen as follows:

1-When you switch tabs you stop the behavior at server side.
2-On client side there is a queued AJAX request (timer) asking to
refresh a component.
3-When tab is switched the component the "timer" is trying to address
is no longer on the path  specified by the request.

If timer is on a sibling f the tab this will not happen.

Ernesto