----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Kohlsmith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [vchkpw] vpopmail 5.3.19

> > Exactly.  As in when your people add the new user, your billing table has
> > an expiry date.  Every week/month/whatever, a cron script runs which spits
> > out a list of users to be deleted, and that list is handed off to a cron
> > script running on the mail system which vdeluser's each one.
>
> I should add that how I described it is _exactly_ how we implement it.
> (mid-size ISP, around 15k-users)

Hi Andrew.

I understand that works for you, but I don't really think adding an expiry feature to
vpopmail itself would hurt anything. Of
coarse, if you're using the monolithic MySQL table structure, then it would certainly
add a good bit of data that has to be cached
in memory. But that's another debate, I think.

But I don't think it would break functionality for you, and it would probably add
functionality that people with less friendly
billing programs (or no billing program at all) could appreciate.

However, I'd like to note here that I'd like any expiry feature to NOT automatically
remove the user. I'd prefer to automate this
from cron, and have the option to write a script that possibly consults a database
before physically removing the user.

But I WOULD like to see an expiry feature someday. When the expiry date rolls around,
all of the user's ability to send, recieve,
etc... stops, but the user's maildir and account info stay intact until a cron script
runs to delete anything that needs to be
deleted.

And sure, I could just write this myself with PHP or Perl and a MySQL back end, but I
think the expiry data is rather closely
related to the data that is already in the vpopmail database.

I guess it's just a matter of someone wanting to write a patch. If it's included, then
I'd use it, but if it's not included, I'd
expect that most people would probably implement it with PHP or Perl because it's
easier than C.