I think the following would be sufficient.

1. Auth the user against the database using their email/passwd
2. Change the last auth value to a year ago.
3. Display a message that they have until the next quarter hour
   to change their mind about deleting their account, and if they
   decide to keep it, to pop into their mailbox.
4. cron the vdeloldusers to run at */15.

Can you think of anything I have missed?

Shane