Am Freitag, 17. Juni 2005 18:08 schrieb DAve:

> Well, not sure if it helps as we currently have less than 10k users on
> our system.
>
> We have two avhosts that run MailScanner, these then send the ClamAV
> scanned messages down to our toasters running vpopmail. Milter-ahead is
> installed and verifing addresses against CHKUSER on the toasters.
>
> Each toaster runs spamc from a .qmail file with per user prefs. I could
> not sell or even give away spam filtering without per user prefs. That
> may be because most of my clients are commercial.
>
> We have the Maildirs on a NFS mount from a Sparc Enterprize which also
> runs spamd. Each toaster connects to the same spamd on an inside
> interface running 1gb FDX, same interface as the NFS and MySQL. No
> issues there. Vpopmail user info and SA user prefs are stored in MySQL
> on the NFS server.
>
> We had been running at 100k messages a day with peaks of 20k per hour.
> With the use of Milter-ahead and CHKUSER this has dropped by 60%.
> Dictionary attacks never make it inside anymore.
>
> We have been experiencing problems with some spam, not completely
> certain of the cause. Periodicly we see qmail-local just stop, all
> processes waiting, concurrancy local maxed out. This is only happening
> on users with spam filtering enabled. I have just upgraded SA to 3.0.4
> as they identifed a possible issue of malformed headers causing
> problems. I also suspect that the script we use may be the cause, it is
> a modified copy of ifspamh.
>
> Overall, the combination of MailScanner + Milter-ahead -> qmail +
> vpopmail(MySQL) + CHKUSER + spamc -> NFS Maildir + spamd + MySQL has
> proven reliable and very configurable.
>
> I can give specs on my servers if you like. Hope this helps.
>
> DAve

Sounds very interresting, but is too far away from our current environment.
Currently it is impossible to change the whole thing.
But: I am still interrested in deeper details of this setup. IMHO it is always
good to see how anybody else does implement it and in most of the cases one
could learn something.
Maybe I need to build a whole new email-solution in the future where these
"well-probed" concepts could be useful.
If you don't want to post all the details on the list, leave me a message and
I'll give you my private email-address.

Cheers

Tobias