On Nov 7, 2005, at 8:15 AM, Nicholas Harring wrote:
Please, please, please don't spread FUD by even implicitly blaming
chkuser for this. There's no way to implement chkuser in even a vaguely
efficient manner without linking against vpopmail. Vpopmail needs to
begin building a shared library, then everybody else can just magically
begin using it.

This puts the blame squarely where it belongs, on the heads of the
developers maintaining vpopmail who completely refuse to integrate
shared library support into vpopmail. They've been sent patches, and
never offered detailed reasons for refusing to integrate.

Please, please, please don't spread FUD by even implicitly blaming the vpopmail developers for this. ;-)

I've seen *one* patch for this and, IIRC, it didn't apply cleanly to the current version of vpopmail. I worked on it a bit, and liked the results, but delaying pushing it into the mainstream release.

One problem is that some programs (including qmailadmin) actually make use of information in the header files to conditionally compile its code. To truly move to a dynamic lib, we need to have any program that links to libvpopmail do so without using vpopmail's config file. It's not as simple as just making the lib dynamic.

What if we wrote an external program that chkuser could run instead of having to link to libvpopmail? Would that be a good solution.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
You don't need a laptop to troubleshoot high-speed Internet: sniffter.com