>> Please, please, please don't spread FUD by even implicitly blaming the
>> vpopmail developers for this.  ;-)
>>
>> I've seen *one* patch for this and, IIRC, it didn't apply cleanly to
>> the current version of vpopmail.  I worked on it a bit, and liked the
>> results, but delaying pushing it into the mainstream release.
Gee, wonder who's patch that was. And of course it didn't, I maintain that
patch internally to my organization, but wasn't willing to do so publicly when
it was made quite clear it was going nowhere fast with the vpopmail devs.
Besides, I seem to recall this being a 10-15 line patch for the makefile only,
which I cooked up in about 20 minutes one afternoon while bored, so don't act
like this is some monster task.

>> One problem is that some programs (including qmailadmin) actually make
>> use of information in the header files to conditionally compile its
>> code.  To truly move to a dynamic lib, we need to have any program
>> that links to libvpopmail do so without using vpopmail's config file.
>> It's not as simple as just making the lib dynamic.

That qmailadmin needs the static libraries is hardly vpopmail's concern,
especially for those of us without need for qmailadmin. qmail+chkuser and
courier don't need any of this info, and the shared lib just works for both of
them.
>> What if we wrote an external program that chkuser could run instead of
>> having to link to libvpopmail?  Would that be a good solution.
No, it'd actually be horrible. You'd be adding an interface which would need a
good bit of sanity checking to avoid opening a security hole, you'd be adding
system overhead of fork+exec (admittedly minor, but its potentially done a
couple hundred thousand times a day on a moderately busy server), and you'd be
adding components for the sake of adding components.

>I have rebuilt everything after a vpopmail upgrade/downgrade several
>times in the last few months. It takes less than five minutes to
>recompile qmail-smtpd for chkuser. That is because I have to wait for
>qmail to finish. I sorry but this just doesn't take up a major part of
>my work week. I don't see the lack of a shared lib as cause for so much
>turmoil.

>Some people would still build static linked binarys for
>performance/stability even if a shared lib was available. Me ;^)
Anybody who thinks linking statically gets them performance needs to
re-evaluate their psychoactive drug regimen.
I'm trying to find the email I sent to the list to combat exactly this myth,
and while performance wasn't spectacularly better with the shared lib, it was
better.
I can't imagine how "stability" could be impacted either, its not like this is
experimental new technology or anything. Besides, I doubt you really, genuinely
build statically linked binaries, but instead build binaries linked statically
against libvpopmail.

Cheers,
Nick

<<winmail.dat>>