OK, fair point.  So let me ask this please.

If I migrate with big-dirs DISABLED, then I recompile to enable big-dirs AND I move some accounts into subfolders "a", "b", "c", etc while making appropriate adjustments in vpopmail table, is that an appropriate way to control this risk?

THANKS!

Ismail YENIGUL wrote:
Dave,

Please note that creating 7000 sub directories in a single directory will
effect your performance negatively.

Rick Macdougall wrote:
Dave Richardson wrote:
I'm using a script to add thousands of user accounts as part of a migration for a single domain. It's a perl script making repeated calls to
/home/vpopmail/bin/vadduser -e "dsfgskjghaekjrgkr" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The scripting is working fine, I see the accounts correctly in MySQL's vpopmail table.

However, I'm seeing vadduser create a hierarchy of folders after about the first 80-100 users are added. Using subfolders A-z,0-9.

I only have about 7,000 users to manage and would rather NOT subtree (whatever the term is) this user hierarchy.

What logic controls when vadduser decides to subtree the folders for a particular domain?

Or, should I just let my script run out all the migrations, create the user/Maildirs wherever, and then start moving them to the root of the domain folder? That leaves some nasty work in SQL to clean up the home folder field!
Hi,

Configure vpopmail with --disable-users-big-dir.

--disable-users-big-dir    Disable hashing of user directories.

Regards,

Rick

Thanks Rick and Jon!