On Dec 18, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Josh Thompson wrote:

Thanks for the link; we'll look through the information. Most of us will be out the next 2 weeks; so, in order to have enough discussion for something as big as the name of the project, we'll need to wait until we get back in
January to consider changing the name.

Yeah, no rush.  Just getting the discussion started.

I do have some questions as to why we can't keep the name.

Something I don't understand is that if NCSU were to completely stop doing anything with VCL other than developing it at ASF, and then were to set up an install of it in a year, wouldn't we call it whatever it is called at ASF? In which case we'd be back to the state of using the same name. That goes for anyone that wants to run it. Does another entity have to change the name of it if they install it? If not, they'd be using using the name for the
exact same product.

Let's use Apache Geronimo as an example. If I were a company that took the product, maybe added some stuff, maybe not, and then sold it as the "Acme Geronimo Application Server", the ASF would be after me with a baseball bat. I could, however, sell it as "Acme Application Server based on Apache Geronimo". Think of it as a trademark thing.

We're not planning on developing anything here at NCSU in parallel to what's being developed at ASF. We're planning on doing all development based at
ASF.

Yeah, it doesn't matter where the development is. Think of it as like a trademark thing.

Josh