Alan,

Thanks for starting the discussion about this. I think there are a few different issues so I'll try to separate them. The issues we need to address is the trademark of VCL and the other is the identity of the community. Perhaps we should talk about these in reverse order.

First is the identity of the community. The move of the development for the VCL codebase from NC State to Apache marked the formation of a community outside of NC State. So, what NC State decides to do or not to do is not particularly relevant to the community collaborating at Apache. Given this separation, perhaps a different name is appropriate so their is a clear distinction between NC State's use of VCL and the Apache Incubator's community.

As far as the name goes. Since Virtualization and hosting is, well, virtual, perhaps a name like spectre or Casper would be good :) (ya, I already can see the naming police coming).