Kevan writes:
> On May 1, 2009, at 3:28 PM, aaron_pee...@ncsu.edu wrote:
> >Matt, Alan, Kevan,
> >
> >Any additional information on the project name ?
> >
> >I found this in the archives:
> >http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200904.mbox/%3c4d6e71c2-396a-4b02-afa9-041edd94f...@sun.com%3e
> >
> >In particular:
> >
> >"If you want to continue to use VCL, I'd recommend asking NCSU to make
> >more obvious their donation to Apache and their intent to donate not
> >only the code but the name. This would allow us to claim historic use
> >of the name. If not, find another name."
> >
> >How do we donate the name?
> >
> >NCSU is taking efforts to make the donation more obvious at the ncsu
> >site.
> Hi Aaron,
> Great. So, I don't know of an actual name "donation" process. I
> thought the real issue was NCSU needed to *stop* using VCL.

  We'd love to have Apache use the name and own the name - if we could
continue using it.

  Why do we want to continue using it?  That's because we have over
10,000 actual users (mostly on our campus, but including a few thousand
on other campuses) and I (speaking for me) think it would be a disaster
to have all of them have to find the VCL at a different URL, working
under a different name, with a differently named help desk and with
changed documentation.

  If the *only* way we can continue using the VCL name/URL/... at NC
State and the currently participating campuses is to choose a new name
for the Apache code - then I think that we must choose a new name.
Vcloud sounds good to me - I don't know if there are legal difficulties.
(Note - we own the vcloud.org domain.) I hope the vcl-legal list
particpants will provide some guidance.  By the way, even though the
vcloud.org domain currently resolves to our campus vcl.ncsu.edu domain -
we would be glad to turn over ownership of the vcloud.org domain to
Apache and it could point to whatever our Apache community feels
appropriate.

  Other possibilities (for which we already own domains) include
vcl-cloud, vclcloud and virtualcomputinglab.

  We're trying hard to find out what is the right thing to do with
respect to naming in the Apache community.  When we talked to Matt after
the Cloud Computing Conference he pointed out that there wasn't a single
fixed way of doing things in the Apache community, but that arriving at
a community decision was the norm.

> However,
> I'm kind of a novice in these naming issues. Alan seems to be a better
> resource...

  Great!
--
--henry schaffer
(trying to communicate the NC State ideas, but I'm not claiming to be an