hello Josh,

indeed it was an sshd config issue: external_sshd_config

also i would like to mention that, since i have 'PAM' enabled i had to
do the following as well to get it to work, and failed otherwise.

cd /etc/pam.d
ln -s sshd ext_sshd

i was scratching my head until i found the above solution at
http://www.kudos.be/multiple_sshd

regards,
prem.