Prem,

Good to hear you are making progress.

On Wednesday June 08, 2011, Prem Kumar wrote:
> hi Josh,
>
> made some progress with 'os' and 'arch' in nodetype set to 'image' and
> 'x86', yet i am missing something.
>
> kindly could you confirm where i went wrong from below in reference to
> xcat and partimage setup:
>
> - successfully installed a compute node with pxe boot and  'ks'
> template located under: /install/custom/install/rh
>
> - copied vmlinuz and initrd.img from
> here(https://cwiki.apache.org/VCLDOCS/adding-support-for-partimage-and-part
> image-ng-to-xcat-2x-unofficial.html) to /tftpboot/xcat/image/x86/
>
> - also copied rootimg.gz to /install/image/x86/installer_files/
>
> ++++++since the above images were built with eth0 as the primary nic,
> i changed it to eth1 because that being my primary nic.

I'm glad you found that.  I had forgotten they have hard coded NICs.  I'll
look in to getting that info from xcat.

> ++++++ not sure if the rootimg.gz here has to be the cpio image from
> the install of the compute node in the first step? and the vmlinuz and
> initrd.img from the disk or rhel used to install the compute node.

I'm not clear what you are asking here.  You should be able to use the
rootimg.gz from the "unofficial" wiki page you listed above.

> - then set 'os' and 'arch' in nodetype table  to 'image' and 'x86'
> respectively
>
> - next typed in the following command:
>
> nodeset <node> image
> ++++++ at this point it complained that it could not find:
> /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image/createimage.x86.tmpl , i was hoping
> my file /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image/vcl_rhel_template.tmpl with
> this single line(#INCLUDE:../scripts/post.rh#) in it should have done
> the job. not sure why it only needs createimage.x86.tmpl ?

It looks like I left this out of the docs.  For pushing images, you need one
of these under /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image (somewhat documented):

$profile.$arch.tmpl
$profile.tmpl
default.tmpl

For capturing images, you need this under /opt/xcat/share/xcat/install/image
(undocumented):

createimage.$arch.tmpl

That file should only have the following single line:

#INCLUDE:../scripts/post.rh#

It would make sense to update the partimageng.pm module to have capturing
requirements similar to pushing requirements and allow $profile.$arch.tmpl and
$profile.tmpl to work.  I'll try to get that updated in the next few weeks.

> after creating the required(createimage.x86.tmpl) file, and the typing
> the above command creates appropriate pxe configuration files in
> /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/ with the url and action to save the image etc,
> which seems right.
>
> - now type in the following command to boot the node so as to save the
> image upon reboot
>  rpower <node> boot
>
> at this point if everything is right, following should happen
>
>  > the stateless image will be used to boot in initial ram disk
> >
> > then use the postinstall partimage script to save the image of the
> > current installation of the 'os' onto the location on management node.
>
> +++++++ here i don't see when does one gets the post install
> scripts(partimage) from management node?

Looking in rootimg.gz, you'll find

/etc/rc3.d/S84xcatpostinit

which is a symlink to

/etc/init.d/xcatpostinit

which runs

/opt/xcat/xcatdsklspost

which uses wget to download all of /install/postscripts from the management
node.  Then it executes the getpostscript.awk script to generate a primary
postscript file.  This file should contain various things, one of which is the
partimageng script.  It runs this primary postscript, thus running the
partimageng script.

To aid in debugging, if you configure the node to also have the remoteshell
postscript run, you'll be able to ssh in to it while the stateless image is
booted.  There may be some things you need to set up to get the remoteshell
postscript working.  Also, if the node reboots too quickly for you to poke
around, you can comment out the /sbin/reboot line at the end of the
partimageng postscript.

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu