On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 06:49:10PM +0100, Udo Richter wrote:
> Well, strange things happen. I've had such a side effect on my runvdr
> extreme with a closed stdout, see here: (German)
> http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=542948#post542948
>
> In this case, printf on kanotix complained heavily on a closed stdout,
> and the only workaround was to replace >&- with the traditional >/dev/null.

Closing stdout is a different matter.  But I agree with you, it may be
not a wise idea to close stdin either.  The workaround </dev/null
did not occur to me until today.  And even without the workaround, it's
not that bad, because usually the shutdown does succeed.

> >Are you planning to maintain the 1.4 branch of the patch?  If yes
> >(and I hope so), can plugins use some #ifdef to see if
> >Shutdown.IsUserInactive() is available?
>
> For now I'll maintain it, currently the differences are only minor.
> Adding some #ifdef detection is a good idea, I'll add that for the next
> 1.4 patch.

Thank you!  I plan to keep using 1.4 at least until 1.5 supports
DVB subtitles (which I hope it will support at some point) or UTF-8.

        Marko