> People I know dealing with this issue pad the channel numbers
> by adding a set number.  For example, if provider A and provider
> B both use 0000-9999 for their channel numbers, the user pads
> one of the providers by adding say 10000 to the channel numbers
> thus having one provider retain 0000-9999, and the other becoming 10000-19999.

Well, it comes to my mind that you should just use normal 'main' channel
numbers.

If you usually watch it in HD, then mark that with main channel number. Then
put another version of the channel (SD) to same number * 100 (or 1000).

15 ABC HD
1500 ABC SD

or for easy remote use, for alternative channel triple the last digit.

15 ABC HD
1555 ABC SD
16 NBC HD
1666 NBC SD

Why should you select between SD/HD? Or is there a different programme on?
I'd delete the SD ones if they show the same show :)

Also I don't understand standard channel numbers. In Finland Swedish-speaking
Yle FST thinks they are at position 5. No way, for me they are at 100 and
beyond.

I watch channels, not channel numbers. If show is coming from "Sub", I know it
is 5 in my setup. So for me channel numbers are to my own preference, not
because
somebody is saying so. Easies up the channel browsing as it happens in my
priority preference (channel numbering), not some political aspect.

EPGSearch then records my shows from channels by keywords without channel
numbers.