On 22.10.2011 11:38, Laz wrote:
On Saturday 22 October 2011 08:55:01 M. Fiegert wrote:
  >>  Any suggestions for small, powerful, quiet, FullHD VDR client?
  >>  So, I search machine what would act as VDR-client, using xineliboutput
  >>  with FullHD resolution and machine would have DVI or HDMI connection
  >>  optical audio.

I bought 2 years ago Zotac IONITX-A-E motherboard which came with atom
CPU and nvidia gpu, at that time it cost about 200 euro.
I made the small case myself and have I have 12" fan running in it in
the slowest speed and the case/cpu/gpu temperatures remains under 50 c.

I also have such a zotac board. Its running like a charm as a vdr client
since almost two years COMPLETELEY NOISELESS (no fan, SSD)!
You have Full HD over HDMI (and there is optical output, but I never
tried to use).
Definatly my recommendation if noise is a concern.

see http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2010-January/021920.html

Sounds good to me. My current vdr box needs upgrading at some point and it has
started doing hard lockups in the psat few weeks (I suspect the PSU is on the
way out. Rather than trying to track that down, maybe it's a hint that I need
to upgrade to a new system!

Is this running in a client-server setup? I.e. DVB devices in another box and
then using the libxineoutput plugin?

Yes, for me its like this. The server is a core-duo with a cine S2 card (V5) and 2TB video harddisk (as well as other server functionality). It is a pure server without terminal or TV.

Does this setup give you full OSD access
to timer programming, etc., from the client? (I think that is all meant to be
straightforward but does it work in practice?!)

Yes it does.
It is not that rock solid stable than full-featured one box solution that I had before (running without a glitch for months), but very good usable. I would estimate that vdr-sxfe crashes about once a week, but most of the time is restared in some seconds. In rare cases a kill -9 is necessary which i have on one remote button. This may be much better with recent versions, I am still on ubuntu 10.4 with yavdr which hasn't been updated for a long time.

I had some reception problems with HD while summer, but since recordings are playing fine and it is getting better now, i think that is due to reception problems from trees in the line of sight. Though there is some mysteries to be looked into there. No problems with SD.

Greetings

  Michael