I've never used them for trout, but could right a dissertation on how I've
used them for bass, bluegill, crappy, perch...

Cork with concave head
Cork with flat head
Cork like a tube
Foam can be fished like a popper - same principle
Deer hair
Colors are all over creation - though I prefer yellow and black as my
go-to's
Feathers or no
Legs or no (I usually prefer them on most poppers)

To fish them - depends on water temperature and type. I will vary my strip
until I figure out what the fish will go for. Short and fast strips, short
and slow, long and fast, long and slow, minimal pauses between strips to as
much as 10-15 seconds.

--
Ed Roden
flyfished at gmail dot com