Jimmy,

Do you spin-fish?  Normal for righties is to cast right and reel left.  Even
with me, the old bait-casters were a swap-over proposition- cast right-reel
right.  Then I made the swap to spin-casting, and it became natural. Flyfishing
is the same as spin-casting- cast right, reel left.

Jerry Goldsmith casts right & reels right, so that should tell you how strange
that practice is.

You need to practice reeling in under tension and without tension.  Practice on
a spin-caster, too.
Also, remember this too.  You 'play' a fish with the rod, not the reel.  The
reel's job is to store line and to feed it out.  Feeding it out required some
resistance to prevent backlash, or an actual HD Drag to hold a big fish from
running off, and thus not having to use your hand to palm the spool.

Small fish can be played with loose line, not even using the reel.  So how do
you do using your left hand to handle slack line, also?

Also, when you cast, you are hauling with your left hand, or double-hauling.
So the left hand and arm are busy while the right has the job of casting and
not tiring out.

Take it from me as I invented casting in the first place.