From: Jimmy D. Moore <ray...@earthlink.net>
Subject: [VFB] Reeling left-handed
To: "Virtual Fly Box" <vfb-mail@googlegroups.com>, "Fly Fishing World"
<flyfishingwo...@yahoogroups.com>, "Hill Coountry Fly Fishers"
<hillcountryflyfish...@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Friday, November 20, 2009, 11:09 AM

I'm right-handed and I've always
reeled right handed after changing the rod from right hand to left I know
that in the time it takes to change the rod from right hand to left hand
has cost me a fish or two, but try as I may, I just can't get the hang of
reeling left-handed.  I've had this trouble with my bait casting reel but
it doesn't seem to affect how quick I strike at a bass.

I've sat at my tying bench with a reel attached to a reel seat held the handle
in my right hand and reeled left-handed until I'm blue in the face. After
about 5 minutes, reeling left-handed seems natural, BUT  . . . . when I get
on the stream and a fish takes, I fall back into the switching rod from right
to left hand and then reeling with my right hand.

I'll try doubly hard to reel left-handed on the next fish, but even if I
don't make the switch, my reeling is an uncoordinated jerky motion.

Maybe I've just got a mental block.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

JIMMY D