From: Don Ordes <f...@tribcsp.com>
Subject: Re: [VFB] RE: Rope dubbing- color shading tip
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Date: Friday, November 5, 2010, 2:57 PM

Wayne,

Save all of your old tooth brushes.  One cool
trick I found, not really related to rope-dubing, is to color an old toothbrush
with permanent marker,
then quick-like (before it dries) brush out a
rope or even finished fly.  It leaves hues and shades of color that
can't be blended in beforehand.  The under-rope and segments are hilited
because the color is added to the humps only if you do it after you
wrap.

Say you want a stonefly with a darker brown back
and a tan belly.  Rope the fly out tan and then brush on the top color
right where you want it, to the darkness you want, even graduating or blending
colors.  Using the marker itself tends to saturate in and then bleed
out (yuk), but the tooth-brush carries only enough color to the fly to
highlight
and shade it.

Or, once you have your yellow rope formed and brushed out, hit it with a
toothbrush colored with pink marker.  Will give pink hi-lites without
actually coloring the yellow over to pink. (like blending, but frosting the
tips
only)

I do a normal tooth-brush with three colors to a brush and keep them right
there with the markers.  Coloring with stiff toothbrushes also fuzzes out
the dubbing.

I know.  I know.  Someone will say someone else does this or did
it 1st.  I've never seen it.  Don't doubt it.  Can't address
it.  Don't care who was first.  It's just a thing I do that I'm
sharing.  Been using hiliters for 30 years, been brushing on colors for
that long.  End of story.

Works for all nymphs, stones, dries, eggs, whatever.