Joyce,
On the long toothbrushes, I put 3 colors per brush.
I have older permanent Pantone Markers, but I believe the Spirit River markers
are the same.
I make sure I re-cap my markers, and most of them are over 15 years old, and
some of them date back 25 years.
Many have dried out and been replaced, and that happened when I didn't get the
caps back on tight.
(I'm a tight-wad, it's Buggs who leaves them open)

It's hard to tell what colors are on some of the brushes, like the orange is
very close to the reddish brown.
So if the tooth-brush can be match-colored also on the back side, I do this to
make it easier to pick the right color.

I had some eyelash brushes, but I lost them somewhere, tiny as they were.  They
worked good.

I'm thinking of a color 'applicator' that would be easy (cheap) to make and may
work like bristles.  We'll see.
It will consist of a popsickle stick with a strip of leather glued to the end,
about a 1/4" long, with the rough side out.
A little sandpaper to roughen it up a bit more and it should take color real
well and then I can rub it on the fly body.
Will let you know how it works out.

You'll like the subtile hues this brushing gives flies, rather than sharp
edges.  If you are doing multiple identical flies,
color them all at once on a piece of hard styrofoam.  It'll go faster and you
won't have the marker open as long.