Mel: Thanks a lot. Great tips there. I’ll try them out, Chuck

From: mel hocken
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:18 PM
To: vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [VFB] Dying feathers with Rit dye ???

Chuck
I used to dye a lot of materials, both fur, feathers as wellas natural and some
synthetic yarns. The first step is to be sure the material to be dyed is clean
and free of grease and oils. I used to use dish washing soap.Be sure to rinse
the soap completely away. Temperature control is critical because if you get
the dye solution to hot you can cook the hair right off the hide or ruin a nice
cape. I tryed to keep my dye bath at at 125 degrees. I have used tintex, rit,
dylon and veniard dye. They all had pluses and minuses. With all types black
was the most difficult to dye. I found you needed to mix the black dye bath 2
to 4 times stronger than recomended. I always used vinegar to set the dye. With
black and some of the other more difficult colors I would not add the vinegar
until I had achieved, close to the color saturation I required. I recommend
only dying a small amounts to start with. I have many friends who ruined a lot
of materials because they went at it like a commercial opperation. Keep notes
on anything you try. I do not dye many materials these days as it seems
everything is available commercially, much easier to buy the finished material.
Regards
Mel Hocken