Steve Watkins wrote:
 > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Kinberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > wrote:
 >
 >>>FireANT is "freeware" (license unknown)
 >>>I/ON is "freeware" (license unknown)
 >>>DTV is GPL'd
 >>>PenguinTV is GPL'd
 >>

 >>FireANT is licensed under Creative Commons (by attribution -
 >>non-commercial - no derivatives)
 >>I/ON is GPL: < http://openvision.tv/home/source.html >
 >>
 >>-Josh

> My brain get confused when people use creative commons licenses for
> software.
>
> What exactly do they apply to - the use of the software, or the
> distribution of the software in executable form? Theres no sourcecode
> to have a license for, so I guess it cant be for that?

I too get confused by software with CC licenses, since it can be confusing.

If this is the license Josh is specifying:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/

Then these are the guidelines:

- You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or
licensor.

- You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

- No Derivative Works. You may not alter, transform, or build upon this
work.

Which to me would mean I can put FireANT on a CD I gave away, or put it
on a web site for people to download, as long as I didn't sell the CD or
charge for the download. It also suggests I could make no changes to it
in doing so, like brand it with my own look/feel/etc.

I don't know if the FireANT guys have thought of this, but the iPodder
Lemon guys have done some very interesting things regarding selling
custom versions of their app <URL:http://www.ipodderlemonstore.com/>
either with pre-loaded subscription lists, or with custom graphics, etc.
Note they also still give away the GPL'd version, but they got creative
in finding a way to make money from it as well.

How cool would it be to provide a download on your own site of FireANT
that was preloaded with the feed from your videoblog and others you
admire? You could offer it to visitors of your site who don't yet
understand videoblogging, but trust you enough to teach them about it...

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...