--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Huth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I'm curious if other folks who might be excited like I am meet many blank
>>stares from
>>friends and family who don't get what the big deal is.

    Personally I'm not all that interested in this development.  There
has been this kind of hardware around for more than a year, in addition
to being able to play back video on Palms and phones.  Apple's approach
has that consumer-friendly tight integration that they have with all
their stuff, and that's impressive, but I just don't see this as the
thrill that others do.  It doesn't seem to me like someone who is going
to watch a video blog is more likely to watch now that there's this
portable device rather than watching on the computer.

    Sure, I understand the convenience and chic appeal of the iPod, but
I don't see it really changing all that much.  It sure isn't going to
make it any easier to create good content for it.  :)  Obviously I'm
glad that there's another outlet for short form videos.  That's cool and
even a bit exciting, but it's not the paradigm shift that its being made
out to be.

    I guess I have to turn back the pages to one of the earliest
meetings of the Dramatists Guild in the mid 40's.  They were discussing
this new "television" thing that was going to present an unheard of 72
hours a WEEK of new drama.  One of the writers stood up and asked,
"Where was it decreed that man had to have so much entertainment?"  :)

    If you're interested in learning more about the earliest days of TV
(I'm talking pre-50's here) it would behoove you to read a book called
"Please Stand By" by Michael Ritchie.  A lot of what went on in the
formative days of television have a LOT to say to everyone who's part of
this video blogging thing.  I've read the book five times...

--
     Bohus Blahut
 (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

   modern filmmaker