I got the same thing when I got my first MP3 player (pre-ipod). People
were like WTF? Who cares? Then this summer my dad (who says he hates
computers and technology) got excited about MP3's and went out and
bought a portable CD player that handles MP3's. He had no idea that
there are other options, like iPods and was fascinated when I showed
him mine. So we just have to realize that concepts of what media is
and how it should be are pretty deeply embedded in the culture. It's
will change, it just takes time. I have another friend who helps me
shoot for my video blog occasionally and seems to really enjoy it and
he likes my vlog, and I was telling him about how video blogging is
great and about the different aggregators etc. stc. blah blah and he
just looked at me and said, "not me." I was like, what do you mean? He
just said, "I can't see getting into it, I like TV." But then I
remembered how it was when I first started using the Internet in the
early 90's. Most of my friends then thought it was at the least kinda
geeky and at worst kinda stupid. People change.

So yeah there are some cultural barriers. It's to be expected I guess.
People don't like things to change too much too fast. But I think like
the Internet itself people will eventually catch on. It just takes
awhile.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
www.lofistl.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Huth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Spent the day pretty excited about the new iPod and (especially)
iTunes. Tonight I was
> trying to explain to a friend how groovy it feels to have my vlog
listed in iTunes and even
> featured in one of the "video podcasts" sliders on the store.
>
> He didn't get it and couldn't understand why any of this made any
sense beyond a small
> curiosity or geeky fetish. After 30 minutes of instant messaging i
realized that he simply
> likes TV. He's fine with it the way it is. He was fine with the
public discourse around the
> election last year. He doesn't _want_ to join the conversation. in
his words, "I just want to
> go to work, make my car payments" (yes it is an SUV) "and watch my
Desperate
> Housewives."
>
> I had reached an impenetrable wall. Of course I have no response for
this. It was really
> weird to realize that this thing I am very passionate about
(cultural change around the way
> we communicate and exchange ideas) was completely off my friend's radar.
>
> I've been trying to write something about why I think this is
important in my new blog
> (
http://vlognik.blogspot.com/2005/10/ready-for-mantime-soon-we-will-all-be.html
).
> Of course this isn't really about why the iPod specifically is cool.
That's just a shiny new