The biggest problem with people "not being able to see" Quicktime is
not that they do not have Quicktime installed, but rather they are
probably using Internet Explorer which will not Fast-Start Quicktime
unless the video is embedded in an HTML page, otherwise IE will wait
till the entire video downloads before it shows anything. This is a
problem for videobloggers who simply link directly to the video file
as the FreeVlog tutorials suggest.

Instead of direct linking to the video file, I suggest using a popup
window with the video embedded. This is why I wrote a code generator
to do that:
< http://joshkinberg.com/popupmaker >

This method creates a popup window with the video embedded while still
preserving the direct link to the video file in HTML so that
FeedBurner and other enclosure-creation services will continue to
work.

As a side note, Rocketboom uses embedded Quicktime player every day
and has never had people complain that they can't see it because they
don't have Quicktime (of course, RB also provides alternative WMV just
in case, and some Windows users prefer that)

Now, when it comes to Quicktime H.264 videos, the viewer does need to
have the latest version of Quicktime installed... but that's no
different than the latest version of Flash Video which uses a new
codec only compatible with Flash 8.

> I wouldn't have thought so, but, in spite of repeated installs of QuickTime
> (in FireFox), there were some sites whose QT video I simply couldn't play -
> HumanDog was one, to my great frustration. With the new 1.5 version of
> Firefox it seems to be even more broken - I ran into a site recently that
> crashed the browser completely if I tried to play a QT video.

I am on Windows using Firefox. I have Quicktime installed. I have no
problem viewing Human-Dog's videos. I have not experienced the
problems you are referring to.

> From what I can tell, a lot more people are viewing my SWF files in whatever
> aggregator than are viewing the FLV files directly on my site. So I don't
> see what the problem is?

At the risk of sounding like a jerk, do you really think your site
gets enough traffic to provide a representative sample of anything?

-Josh

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM