-> > I am interested in this point - how difficult is it to negotiate such
> > rights?

Depends on the artist

Are there standard forms?
We have boilerplate forms drawn up by our attorney.

What kinds of fees are typical, if there
> > is such a thing as typical in this field?
No

Is there a clearinghouse where I
> > could go and say "I want to use Song X for my videoblog, which has an
> > average monthly circulation of n, which is distributed by
so-and-so means...
> > How much will that cost me?" - and get a quick answer?
There are many online sources that sell royalty free and royalty based
creative.  For example, a quick google gives you this:
http://www.stock-music.com/

If you've ever worked with photography aggregators, it's the same concept.

Most vloggers can't budget anything other than creative commons works
or works from folks who are allowing for free (negotiated on a
grassroots basis).

But, if  you have money to spend there are plenty of libraries (video,
audion, photo, etc) online to accomodate your needs.