I really have to join in on this one...

I switched from Blogger and TypePad to a CMS because of the
constraints that the blogging software imposed on me: the
archive ether. I wanted to explore one subject in depth as an on-going
process. I wanted to have the posts come off a multi-level menu system
so that the visitor could make the choices of what to see based on
content, not a linear framework that I imposed

The CMS I chose was Joomla! It is a very powerful do-anything package.
And, it is true, difficult at times to learn. If you are interested in
a very flexible CMS with a large user-base, I suggest you take a look
at Joomla!  You can see how I have used itg for video on
http://hestakaup.com

It came with a learning curve but also with a very large
user-community for support.  The hardest part was when I moved some
domains around and I had to get into Apache and .htacess and that
"stuff". But it was not all that much worse than figuring out a lot of
other issues.

Now that I have it up and running I am very pleased with it. My
background is as a documentary film maker with a need and knack for
working with computers.  I don't know if I could compare learning
Jooomla! to learning FCP...

As for why a CMS of any kind...

Some of us do not want to do episodic "shows" or use the so-called
vlog as an audition medium for getting into MSM or MSE (mainstream
entertainment).  We want to explore content and manage our own
technology. We want to earn money from our work without "monetizing".
We want to long-tail it and develop new platforms for distribution and
content.

Mike Hudack wrote "The sooner Drupal goes away the better off we all
are."  I hope he meant that in some metaphorical sense that has
escaped me, but just in case he meant it semi-literally I take it that
the CMS like Drupal is a threat to the "shows" that Blip has
been promoting.  CMS is ideal for rich media: text, graphics, photos,
and videos. The stuff that gets overlooked by Blip.

Sorry this is so long, but I felt I had to say something.

Stan Hirson
http://hestakaup.com    (on Joomla!)

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Meiser"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's funny my gut reaction was that we had an imposter posting under
Mike
> Hudack, I've never known him to be so blunt and harsh.
>
> But then I've got to say, as a non-programmer... drupal, plone and
the whole
> CMS thing... are atrocities that developers foist onto everyday
users... "oh
> but look at how great it is, and what you can do with it!"
>
> He programers it's what YOU can do with it!  Drupal, plone and CMS
systems
> are for developers not real live human beings whom are non-uber geeks.
>
> I cannot TELL you how many times I've had someone foist drupal, plone or
> some other CMS on me when all I needed was a PBwiki or a wordpress
install.

> 99.99% of people don't want or need a big swiss army knife of a CMS
system.
> They need the single tool they need and that's it.
>
> Just some observations.
>
> It's absolutely nothing persoanl with drupal... I actually want
drupal and
> plone and all those other great CMS to succeed... but unless you have a
> developer on call 24x7 drupal is not for the every user.
>
> There, I've really shown my colors. I'm a technological neophyte. The
> illusion of my knowing anything at all is shattered. :)
>
> Peace,
>
> -Mike
> mmeiser.com/blog
> mefeedia.com
>
> On 12/5/06, sull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > lol.
> > i suppose, yeah.
> > kinda harsh, even if you're not a fan of drupal.
> > if you dont use it or like it, no harm done.  many people do like
it and
> > *know* how to use it well.
> > better to have it exist than not ;)
> >
> > sull
> >
> > On 12/5/06, Mike Hudack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >   You ask because you think that's a crzy thing to say?

<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com> <

videoblogging@yahoogroups.com<videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>
> > <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com><videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>]

[EMAIL
PROTECTED]<groups-yahoo-com%40mmeiser.com><groups-yahoo-com%40mmeiser.com>

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mike%40blip.tv><mike%40blip.tv>> wrote:
> [...]
Feedburner)