well i will chime in *again*.

i have nothing truly against network2.
they communicate here and seem like smart, decent people in this space.
of course, that is also in best business interests but hey.... you cant be
too skeptical otherwise you would be... paranoid.

i've claimed this before, but its important to repeat it especially when a
thread like this invites it.

vlogdir.com is OPT-IN.  from day 1 in April 2005, the directory has been a
community-driven directory.
I didnt populate it.  YOU did.  and I am proud of that because i think it is
an interesting gauge of this vlog community.
I also think that it works mostly as a passive filter.  Meaning, people
actually take a few moments to submit their videoblog and vodcast (rss
feed).  That means that they think they have something good to share with
others.  so they choose to take some measures to do that sharing.
vlogdir is always a top 10-20 result in google... so it helps somewhat.

I also believe that vlogmap.org has worked this way for almost as long.

though i totally love mefeedia.... they are not only opt-in and they
actually went through a period when they sucked in a boat-load of feeds from
other services like blip, vimeo, vsocial, youtube etc.  i call most of those
feeds.... orphans.
but mefeedia is like the best overall vlog/feed aggregator i think and they
do a tremendous amount of "right" stuff.... so, this is in no way to traject
anything negative on mefeedia.  they rock and when i can, i help them out
with feedback.

fireant.tv is opt-in too but last i checked, they also add in their own
selections as well.  the weird part is the fact that any feed you enter in
the app, gets added to a database as part of a review queue.... and if it
looks tasty, it will end up on the web directory.  i think you can opt-out
of that happening on mac version.  but many feeds on fireant.tv are added by
fireant themselves as well as the community (whether intended or not).

the only time i truly think its nasty to add feeds without opt-in is when
some site appears out of nowhere and sucks in feeds and wraps ads around
everything.
they are obviously just trying to rank high in search results and make a few
bucks.  no value back to the community and no value to the publishers.  its
cheap and its dirty.  and it creates a bad reputation too.

RSS... yes if you put out a feed, as a general rule you are syndicating your
content to anyone on the web.  Preferably, you want that content grabbed by
an audience, not by random aggregator sites.  But you also realize that some
of the reputable aggregator sites actually do help you gain exposure and get
traffic and distribute your media.  More people can subscribe to you.  It
can be a very good thing if you actually want to spread your media.
But you should respect the aggregator and if you dont, you should be able to
tell them to remove your content.  and they should respond asap.

network2 seems like they are trying to add value to the community.  i think
they might succeed.  we'll see.

vlogdir.com... well.... the project was one of the originals to come out of
this community.... and its in auto-pilot.  it still serves and represents
the vlogosphere.... but i have not personally focused on evolving the
project.  after all, it is what it is.  what else can it be?  i promote
vlogs that i like a lot... on the site and elsewhere.  and every once in a
while i need to delete some vietnam tourism site etc but for the most part,
the directory has been problem free.  thats a success story.  to me at
least.

maybe in 2007, i will carve a little time out to improve the site.

in mean time, make sure any agg-newcomers work like mefeedia, vlogdir,
fireant, vlogmap, blip.....  the originals.... who give full attribution and
add value to the community.  oh, i suppose network2 as well ;)

sull

On 12/14/06, Markus Sandy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   i think i see a difference
>
> aren't fireant and mefeedia "opt-in" ?
>
> also, i don't think they *feature* sites from people who wish otherwise
>
> On Dec 14, 2006, at 1:32 PM, Heath wrote:
>
> > I don't see what you are doing as any different than Fireant, or
> > MeFeedia, etc. You are providing a way to view video on the web,
> > vlogs, etc.....at least you are providing link backs and other
> > things, there are plenty of sites around that just "take" your feed
> > and you would never know it. Ran across a few of those, now THAT
> > bothers me, just taking, but I don't see what you are doing
> > as "wrong"..... IMO you have been honest and above board, so no
> > worries on my end..
> >
> > Heath
> > http://batmangeek7.blogspot.com
> >
> > --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com <videoblogging%40yahoogroups.com>,