I will be interesting to see what the blip transcoding to AppleTV/
iPod results in. If I upload a 600 kbit/sec file to blip, and the
magicians at blip translate that to a 1500-1800 kbits/sec Apple TV
file (assuming its the same bitrate as the pre-fab settings here in
FCP / Mac OS world) -- then that will be a poor result: all the long
download times without any of the high-quality. [once data is thrown
away, it cannot be gotten back -- for those of you who believe the TV
spy shows that show "zooming in" on video -- that's not possible!]

The debate, to me, is not 640x480 vs. 320x240 -- the debate is 600
kbits/sec data rates vs. 1500 kbit/sec.  Using the freevlog advice, I
can get files that will start playing immediately (on U.S.
'broadband' connections) and still be the highest quality possible.
At 1500, people _would_ have to wait several minutes _if_ they were
trying to watch the file from a web browser -- a far too long a
wait / most people would give up and leave. BUT I'm not going to stop
encoding at 600 kbit/s for the website itself -- I'm just going to
add a 1500 kbit/s video for the iTunes feed. People aren't expecting
to watch the video right away from the iTunes environment. And a bit
rate that is three times wider is going to result in some beautiful
footage. I can only expect Apple did all kinds of market research /
planning / thinking about wait times vs. files sizes vs. image
quality when deciding to move all of their TV shows and movies to
this new bitrate. I do love that these files Apple is making look
great when blown up to two or three times the original size (to fill
the HD screens). You just cannot do that with a 600 bkit/sec file!

The biggest disadvantage I think of the wider bitrate is the fact
people's harddrives are going to get full 3 times faster. And that
Apple TV harddrive is awfully small. But that "problem" comes long
after the viewer has already downloaded and watched your show -- it's
not going to stop them from subscribing in the first place. I
download two to four 45 minute files at 1500-1800 kbits/sec every
week from the iTunes store, and I have no problems with "waiting". It
all happens in the background, and I'm excited to get the content
every time.

So I say: let's embrace the Apple settings / 1500-1800 kbit/second! I
was avoiding it based on Verdi + Ryanne's advice, but once I poked at
the files and started figuring out what Apple is up to, I got excited
about Apple's choices. The are trying to get us to all do one thing
(not 50,000) and have it work as best as possible. I plan to use this
for all iPod / Apple TV feeds. (And NEVER for files that are played
straight from the browser.)

I just hope the Blip transcoding does not use the higher bitrate,
since (if people are uploading 600 kbit/sec source files) the quality
will not reflect it. If Blip can get an Apple TV / iPod compatible
640x480 or 640x360 sized video going at the regular 600 kbits/sec
rate -- that will be an incredibly useful tool. Small files for those
who want it. Larger physical size. Works on the iPod/TV devices --
this is what is not possible right now, at least not from Quicktime /
iMovie / FCP.

The other option for Blip, I would guess, is to have users upload
"high res" videos -- DV? / High-bit rate mpeg-4 files? -- expressly
for the transcoding into multiple formats. Including a "normal"
Quicktime format at a rate people can watch from the blip site / the
creators website without waiting.

Jen

Jen Simmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]