I appreciate the points that you are making.  I do think that this
"home movie" style can influence and inspire in some interesting ways.
 I do however have to disagree on some points.
Cloverfield has the appearance of being low budget with all "in
camera" editing but of course that was not the case in reality, that
was just the premise of the movie. it wasn't edited in camera it was
just made to look that way.  even if much of the film was shot on an
HVX, that's not a home movie camera.
Cloverfield had big money special effects.  this is a studio film made
by established, rich people, and promoted with a huge budget. This
film cost $30 million to make. yeah, that's low budget for Paramount.

yes, go run with the premise, be inspired. but as you say use the
device to tell "interesting stories."  that's what truly independent
filmmakers should be doing.  if you don't have 30 million to create
Cloverfield you can't get away with repeating the lines "What was that
thing?" over and over again and expect nobody to actually care what
that thing was.