"it never pays to over analyze a movie like this"
but i'll offer up a counter perspective.

why did the the characters go into
> an electronics store and not consider grabbing a couple extra tapes
> and batteries?

the electronics store scene came from one characters sole focus to get his
phone working so he could try to communicate with another character.
this relationship drove the story/path.  the character had zero interest in
getting equipped to document the devastation they were smothered in.
the character who was filming everything was originally only supposed to
film a going away party.
as the events unfolded, this character did realize the importance of the
footage but i am sure he also was not interested in getting more equipment
that would allow him to document more than he could with what he had (within
story, some unknown SSD camera) and would happily be rescued over further
gallivanting around a city under attack by a monster.

how they went 7 hours without having to change a battery.

not sure when the film is supposedly taking place.  was their a year
mentioned?
but a 7 hour batter is not too absurd.

personally, i could ask alot of questions and potential inaccuracies... but
screw that.
i thought it was fantastic.

their will undoubtedly be sequels and this was just an introduction to the
monster.
more details and plot would be added in future.