Originally (2006) I produced videos 320x240 @15fps. I was more conscious 4 
years ago about file size. I imagined Blip blowing up with files being anything 
larger. :)
Since then I've settled in on 480x272 as my standard output rez (16:9).
If I have 4:3 video I'll normally output to 480x360.

I use vpip on my wordpress site to add the videos.
Over the years, I've since gone back, left the original video @ 320x240, but I 
have it displayed on the site at 480x360. It looks no worse than some of the 
stuff I see on YT.

While I have my pants down telling all my dirty secrets, I've shoot everything 
over the past couple years in HD. I don't output in HD, just the original 
content is in HD. That way, I have more options down the road.

HD on the web? Meh. My old iMac 1.8ghz which has just enough juice to 
edit/produce my vlogs, has heart palpitations when trying to download & view HD 
videos from the web. 

Mike
http://vlog.mikemoon.net

--- In [email protected], "elbowsofdeath" <st...@...> wrote:
>
> 
> 
> Actually if you use older camera technology and go above 320x240 then you are 
> at risk of running into interlacing issues. This isnt a problem if your 
> editing & encoding software can deinterlace and you understand the issue, but 
> certainly when vloggers first started experimenting with 640x480 I saw no end 
> of stuff that looked worse than 320x240 because they hadnt deinterlaced so 
> there were bad comb artefacts when camera or people moved.
> 
> The vast majority of vlogs that I watch dont really lose anything by being 
> 320x240. There are certain types of content that I love watching at higher 
> resolutions, but even with a pretty fast broadband connection I dont like to 
> wait long - many of the popular video hosts are not delivering content to me 
> at anything like the speed that my broadband can handle.
> 
> I do like video hosts that enable the viewer to switch between HD and non-HD 
> versions of the video very easily.
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Steve Elbows
> --- In [email protected], David Jones <david.jones@> wrote:
> 
> > Seriously 640x480 is so trivially easy on almost any bit of hardware,
> > it is no harder than 320x240. 320x240 is just not worth it unless you
> > are producing a specific podcast or similar where bandwidth is
> > critical. I produce a 480x272 podcast version of my show for just such
> > reasons, but I'm not silly enough to film at that resolution or only
> > make my product available only at that resolution.
> > 
> > 
> > I'm not necessarily talking about HD here, as there is still has quite
> > a few technical issues for the average users as has been discussed on
> > here many times. But lets be honest, 5 or even 10 year old gear is
> > easily capable of 640x480, as is any $50 second hand DV camcorder of
> > any age. Heck, I can remember easily editing a 2 hour 720x576 DVD
> > movie on an 800MHz Pentium 3 with 768MB of memory and crappy
> > integrated Intel graphics card.
> > Dave.
> >
>


Reply via email to