> Originally (2006) I produced videos 320x240 @15fps. I was more conscious 4
> years ago about file size. I imagined Blip blowing up with files being
> anything larger. :)
> Since then I've settled in on 480x272 as my standard output rez (16:9).
> If I have 4:3 video I'll normally output to 480x360.
> I use vpip on my wordpress site to add the videos.
> Over the years, I've since gone back, left the original video @ 320x240, but
> I have it displayed on the site at 480x360. It looks no worse than some of
> the stuff I see on YT.
> While I have my pants down telling all my dirty secrets, I've shoot
> everything over the past couple years in HD. I don't output in HD, just the
> original content is in HD. That way, I have more options down the road.

I've always advocated this direction. I loved vPIP (http://vpip.org)
because it let you post multiple formats so people could choose.
Someone may want the full HD version, while another person can choose
the smaller Flash version, or another person may want to watch the
.ogv file, or someone else can watch the H264 version because they
really appreciate the compression quality.

vPIP also creates different RSS feeds for your different formats. This
is important since different devices require different formats since
we're still in days of the "codec war".

I've always been surprised vPIP hasnt been more popular, or someone
hasn't copied it's features.I guess because it takes more work to post
multiple formats, but I think its a nice option until there's some
standardization.

I also still post smaller sized videos online...but keep higher
quality archives for the future. I'd rather people watch a slightly
slower quality video than click away because they dont want to watch
for the 720HD version to download.

That being said, David's work at http://www.eevblog.com/ is extremely
appealing to a very specific group of people. Someone who likes to
take apart electronics will wait to download the HD version if that's
their only choice.

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com