hi all

On 11/02/2010, at 8:13 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> Also there is the question of bandwidth and I've had this argument  
> with several people, and I'm often in the minority. But i believe my  
> position so I stand by it. Bandwidth is not free, contrary to  
> popular opinion. Someone somewhere is paying for it. We wil all pay  
> for it if the ISPs want to throttle their networks thanks to every  
> tom dick and harry publishing HD video of their son on a swing, thus  
> choking up the networks with unnecessary bits. your content may very  
> well warrant the higher quality. Thats your choice. Miine does not.  
> Thats my choice.


really want to second this. In a world where sustainability really is  
an issue network sustainability (which includes bandwidth) *is*  
significant. You can't pump big video into most of the world. For some  
projects that does not matter, but for many it does. I remember  
teaching Masters students in Norway who scoffed at what I showed them  
in QuickTime for compression and editing, pointing out that downstairs  
they had Avids, 3 chip cameras etc. Half of these students were on  
scholarships from the developing world. I asked them "so, when you go  
home and out to a school, do you want everyone to be able to shoot and  
edit and publish video for a $30 bit of software, or do you want to  
tell them that they can only tell their stories when they learn how to  
use, own, maintain, an Avid?" Every one of them shut up and started  
playing. Today I could have the same conversation with them about  
bandwidth.




cheers
Adrian Miles
[email protected]
Program Director, Bachelor of Communication Honours
vogmae.net.au/research/contact-me/

Reply via email to