I would guess that its partly the extra work the publisher has to go through like you say, but also some other technical issues to do with how the plugin works in practice, along with whatever the story is regarding what happened to ShowInABox and other video module plugins that it tried to promote, most of which Ive long since forgotten. What remains active of these prior efforts? There was some very nice functionality in these things but they needed polishing to gain wider use.
As for why such ideas werent copied, I guess it would mostly be down to a relative lack of plugin developers who were familiar with all of the videoblogging power wishlists, coupled with the rise of the various video hosting services which has left us with mostly plugins that make it easy to embed video players from these different video hosts, but not a lot else. Progress on better multimedia handling within the core of things like wordpress has been much-requested over the years but very slow to evolve in practice. Throw in factors such as it being easier for the masses to go for hosted blog options or just posting their stuff to social networks or have people go to their main youtube page etc, and its not hard to see why innovation has stalled on these fronts. Im still struggling badly with this era of web-services which we cant build upon ourselves, and all these different ecosystems and forms of communication such as microblogging, social networks etc, which can sort of play with eachother but dont really gel in a cohesive way. In some ways everything is nice and easy and the complexity & magic is hidden, in other ways I worry about the future and dont see so much scope for the little developers to build on these foundations in a way that is useful to the masses. I wanted stuff to evolve whereby people could mix a variety of different services from different companies together in a standard and modulaar way, where it would be trivial to switch service providers for any part of the system without having a nightmare, where the user had full control over their data, and where there was still room for indie developers to add functionality to the basic service offerings. Well in reality we sometimes get sort of some of the above, but not in a way that makes me feel there is a cohesive platform I can build on without placing undue trust on a single corporate platform such as writing a facebook app or whatever. Never mind, personally Im hungy to work on something so shall likely return to Drupal and see what can be done with that in conjunction with video hosting services & html5. Cheers Steve Elbows --- In [email protected], Jay dedman <jay.ded...@...> wrote: > I've always been surprised vPIP hasnt been more popular, or someone > hasn't copied it's features.I guess because it takes more work to post > multiple formats, but I think its a nice option until there's some > standardization. >
