> I do not recognise the sides in the battle quite like you have stated them.
> Whilst its true that Apple were the first to really start pushing h.264, and
> are the most likely not to allow other formats on their mobile devices, many
> other important players in this game support h.264. Microsoft already showed
> their hand - they are supporting H.264 in IE9. They already support it in
> Silverlight and the XBox360, and I believe Windows Phone 7 devices will be
> able to play it.
> It really will be interesting to see what happens with browsers, Google will
> certainly make Chrome attractive by presumably supporting all 3 of the
> formats we are talking about, some others may follow suite as a result, or if
> h.264 dominates html5 video on the web then Firefox may end up having to do a
> workaround to provide support too, such as relying on the OS or a plugin to
> do the job.
> Flash is a big winner so long as there is html5 video codec mess in the
> browser arena. This is another reason I dont want the <battle to be too
> complex & prolonged.

If Google's VP8 codec forces H264 to remain free...then that's a huge
win right there. The minute that H264 decides to start charging any
site that uses their codec...people could just switch over to VP8.  I
think Flash is being forced to open up as well....and continue to
innovate.

It's also important for video tools as well. Be great to build a video
editor (legally) without having to pay fees to use the core
technology.

Jay

--
http://ryanishungry.com