Mozilla reckon that Firefox handles 30% of worldwide web access.  And
you can bet it's an even higher percentage of people who watch online
video.  Even after IE9  with HTML5 becomes widely used in a few years,
that 30% lack of support for h.264 (or more by then) will be a big
issue for anyone wanting to use HTML5 for video. Unless Mozilla change
their mind.

Interesting to see what Microsoft will do about video codecs in IE9.
Have they said? I haven't seen.  If they do allow ogg/vp8 to be used
with the video tag, will it just be the 5% Safari users and iPad/
iPhone users who'll be left out?  That'd be pretty decisive and easy
to prioritize for producers.  And if they fail to support it, and just
support h.264 & their own codecs, it'll be just the 30+% Firefox &
Opera users who are in the minority, tipping the balance the other way
- but not decisively, just annoyingly?  Given Microsoft's record of
driving web professionals mad with their browsers, you have to worry
that sanity will not prevail here.

Rupert
http://twittervlog.tv

On 14 Apr 2010, at 22:43, elbowsofdeath wrote:

> Forgot to say that its also possible that VP8 support could be added
> to Flash if it starts to take off, which would be a workaround for
> some browsers that may not support it directly.
>
> Whatever happens, h.264 remains the best option for maximum browser
> compatibility for a while, due to flashs ability to play it and the
> number of browsers that can play it directly. Couple this with the
> large quantity of video already in h.264 format and you have a
> situation where sites can start offering their videos to some
> browsers without using flash without too much effort at all. This at
> least gives html5 video tag some chance to be used for real,
> regardless of what happens over a longer period of time with other
> formats like VP8.
>
> Apple are clearly promoting html5 in quite an aggressive way as a
> major part of their war with flash on iphones and ipads, and have
> apparently been trying to convince various large websites to make
> versions of the site that dont use flash for video, with mixed
> results so far.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve Elbows
>
> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "elbowsofdeath" <st...@...>
> wrote:
>

> > It really will be interesting to see what happens with browsers,
> Google will certainly make Chrome attractive by presumably
> supporting all 3 of the formats we are talking about, some others
> may follow suite as a result, or if h.264 dominates html5 video on
> the web then Firefox may end up having to do a workaround to provide
> support too, such as relying on the OS or a plugin to do the job.
> >
> > Flash is a big winner so long as there is html5 video codec mess
> in the browser arena. This is another reason I dont want the battle
> to be too complex & prolonged.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: