Yes I think there are quite a few potential gains along the lines you indicate. 

As for h.264 charging issues, I only expect them to attempt to charge people 
who have the ability, incentive & revenues to pay. I suppose it could happen, 
but its more likely that those higher up the chain, eg shows/networks with huge 
number of viewers, and sites that encode & host videos, tool providers etc will 
be the ones to lead the charge away from h264 long before the average vlogger 
will be in line to be charged a fee.

In principal I am hugely in favour of a free and open video format for the web, 
I only sound against it because I am mostly talking about all the practical 
realities that exist at the moment, not the ideal we should be striving for.

Cheers

Steve Elbows

> If Google's VP8 codec forces H264 to remain free...then that's a huge
> win right there. The minute that H264 decides to start charging any
> site that uses their codec...people could just switch over to VP8.  I
> think Flash is being forced to open up as well....and continue to
> innovate.
> 
> It's also important for video tools as well. Be great to build a video
> editor (legally) without having to pay fees to use the core
> technology.
> 
> Jay
> 
> --
> http://ryanishungry.com
> http://twitter.com/jaydedman
> 917 371 6790
>


Reply via email to