From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Michael Phillips
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 10:57 AM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Using Paypal

Hello Ursula,

We are encountering this problem now as well.  We previously got around the
'checking account' requirement by having one of our staff members get the
PayPal credit card.  If you get the PayPal credit card, you have to use it
during the year, at least once.  The problem was that we never used this card
to pay for our purchases; we used our departmental credit card.  Because we
never used their credit card, PayPal recently cancelled it and has refused to
send us a new one.  We can send perhaps $1,100 through PayPal using our
departmental credit card before our account will be shut down.

We have returned to what we used to do before we started using PayPal:
contacting vendors by telephone or by e-mail and asking for an alternate
payment method.  Usually, the vendor can accept payment by check or bank
transfer; although if they want payment in advance it will delay the arrival of
the order.

If there is no alternate method, we use PayPal and slowly creep toward our
sending limit.  Once we hit the sending limit, we will not be able to use
PayPal, will not be able to order the item, and will have to refer our patrons
to Interlibrary Loan.

Michael S. Phillips
Library Associate I
Monographic Acquisitions Division
Texas A&M University
acqmo...@library.tamu.edu

5000 TAMU | College Station, TX 77843-5000

Tel. 979.845.1343 ext. 151 | Fax. 979.845.5310

http://library.tamu.edu