I just upgraded my systems from xubuntu 21.10 to xubuntu 22.04.

My UTF8 confiuguration in vile and xvile is broken now.

Well, entering pound sterling signs no longer works, here is one:-

�

(That looks a bit like an iso 8859-1 character to me, not sure really)

vile has been upgraded to version 9.8v, all my locale settings are
unchanged I think, and pound signs seem to be working correctly
everywhere else.

It's the character *entry* in vile/xvile that's broken, if I create a
file with pound signs in it and then open it with vile then the pound
signs display correctly.

--
Chris Green