On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 11:54:54AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> I just upgraded my systems from xubuntu 21.10 to xubuntu 22.04.

I don't know about "xubuntu", but Ubuntu 22.04 doesn't seem an improvement.

> My UTF8 confiuguration in vile and xvile is broken now.
>
> Well, entering pound sterling signs no longer works, here is one:-
>
> �
>
> (That looks a bit like an iso 8859-1 character to me, not sure really)
>
> vile has been upgraded to version 9.8v, all my locale settings are
> unchanged I think, and pound signs seem to be working correctly
> everywhere else.

Perhaps

        locale -a

would show only UTF-8 encoding (vile is designed to know about a combination
of non-UTF-8 and UTF-8, which used to be a problem).  I've not changed any of
that for quite a while -- locale support is the first place to check.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dic...@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net