Testing the vile 9.8v-2 package on my Debian machine I get some decidedly
odd behaviour:

The following sequence:

  <Compose>l- <Compose>e' <Compose>c,

is rendered in vile as:

  \?A3\?E9\?E7

outside of vile, in the same terminal that appears fine:

  £éç

which would suggest that vile doesn't handle UTF-8 at all, although as
Chris noted, entering those three characters using C-v x <hex> works fine,
and renders in vile correctly.

Even more odd, *other* characters work fine with compose in vile:

  <Compose>## <Compose><" <Compose>e,

for example input fine, and appear in vile as expected:

  ♯“ę

xvile is similarly odd, and launched as:

  xvile -xrm '*font:
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-80-iso10646-1'

behaves in the same way: using compose, ♯“ę works, but £éç does not.
Similarly, the latter does work using C-v x <hex>.

Things are more screwy with the Debian shipped app-defaults (hence the -xrm
flag), which uses "8x13" that turns out to be an alias for the 8859-1
variety of that misc font, not the unicode one.  That however is my fault,
and I'll fix that in an upload shortly.