On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 09:21:52PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> Further information...
>
> I've built vile 9.7 on this system and pound signs work correctly, if
> I build vile 9.8 with the same build environment pound signs don't work.

... and maybe more to the point I've built 9.8u from downloaded source
and I've built 9.8v from downloaded source.  9.8u works OK when
entering pound signs, 9.8v doesn't work correctly.

Note that this error is when I hit the actual pound key on the
keyboard, I'm not entering using the CTRL/V sequence.  If I enter
'CTRL/V x A 3' then I do get a pound sign.

So the problem is something to do with the way that vile is managing
the keyboard input.

--
Chris Green