On Jun 13, 2012 at 05:49 AM -0400, Eric Weir wrote:
Somehow, when I was getting started with vim, I ended up with a vim installation to ~\ and a MacVim installation in \Applications. Before I started using vim-addon-manager I installed plugins to the vim installation.

Do you have a Vim installation in ~/, or do you have your .vimrc and related files in ~/? They are two separate thigns. By the former, I mean the actual executable binary. If you have that, no, you don't need it. If it's the latter (.vimrc, plugins, etc.), yes that's where MacVim expects to find that stuff. All versions of vim are going to look in your home folder (~/) for configuration files, in addition to some other locations relevant for side wide configuration. But you should most likely stick with the home folder spot.

If I'm using MacVim, do I actually need the separate vim installation? If not, and if I had reason to do a manual installation of a plugin---not very likely, but I'm curious---where would I put it?

You would put it in ~/.vim/bundle if using any of the plugin managers that expect to find plugins in the bundle folder. If not using any plugin managers at all, not even pathogen, then you still put the files in ~/.vim, just distributed amongst the appropriate folders in ~/.vim, like ~/.vim/plugin, ~/.vim/syntax, etc.